High Court dismisses RM100,000 1MDB forfeiture suit against Yayasan PBAKM

High Court dismisses RM100,000 1MDB forfeiture suit against Yayasan PBAKM
-A +A

KUALA LUMPUR (June 11): The High Court has dismissed the government forfeiture suit against Yayasan Persatuan Bekas Anggota Kemas Malaysia (Yayasan PBAKM) to recover RM100,000 which was alleged to be funds originating from troubled sovereign wealth fund 1Malaysia Development Bhd (1MDB).

Justice Datuk Muhammad Jamil Hussin said the prosecution had failed to show that the money, which had been frozen, was either wholly or partly from former prime minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak, as the evidence showed many transactions going in and out of Yayasan PBAKM's account since the RM100,000 cheque was written on Oct 19, 2013.

"The claimant has also failed to show that the monies were from illegal activities. The claim is dismissed," said Justice Muhammad Jamil.

The judge ordered for the release of the frozen funds.

Deputy public prosecutor Nik Haslinie Hashim was present on behalf of the government, while Yayasan PBAKM was represented by lawyers Datuk Julita Ilhani Abdul Jabbar and Mohamad Azahari Matiasin.

Meanwhile, the third parties for the RM677,872.55 forfeiture suit against Umno Johor were not present in court today, with the judge setting July 21 for the hearing to continue.

Lawyer Syahrul Syazwan Salehin was present on behalf of Umno Johor.

Similarly, the third parties for the RM2.74 million forfeiture against Umno Selangor were not present either, with the next date set for July 27.

Umno Selangor was represented by lawyer R Hanita.

In June last year, the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) filed a civil forfeiture suit against 41 entities, comprising individuals, companies and political parties, under the Anti-Money Laundering and Anti-Terrorism Financing Act to recover about RM270 million believed to be linked to 1MDB.

The MACC believed the money was illegally transferred from Najib’s accounts.