NZ police detain four after mosque shootings, Malaysian injured

-A +A

WELLINGTON (March 15): New Zealand police detained four people on Friday after mass shootings at two mosques in the city of Christchurch.

"Four are in custody. Three are men and one is a woman," New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush told reporters in Wellington.

"There were a few reports of IEDs strapped to vehicles which we were able to secure," he said, referring to improvised explosive devices.

He said it was not possible to assume that the attack was isolated to Christchurch, saying: "At this point in time we should never make assumptions."

New Zealand media have reported that between nine and 27 people have been killed.

Reuters earlier reported that a Malaysian was among those wounded during a shooting at two mosques in the city of Christchurch, Malaysia's High Commission in New Zealand said on Friday.

"So far, one Malaysian is confirmed injured and currently receiving treatment at the hospital," the commission said on its Twitter account.

Multiple fatalities were inflicted when at least one gunman opened fire on worshippers at the mosques. - Reuters